The mission of the Secondary Fine Arts Department is to empower all CCSD students to achieve their creative potential through quality artistic experiences that instills lifelong involvement in and appreciation of the Arts.
The department goals are:
- to increase student involvement and appreciation of art forms by developing and implementing quality performance and presentation opportunities
- to increase teachers’ pedagogical skills and knowledge by developing and implementing effective professional learning opportunities which are aligned to the Nevada Academic Content Standards, Scope and Goals, Objectives, Grade Level Expectations, and Nevada Educator Performance Framework
- to provide quality resources and tools for instruction by reviewing and revising curriculum documents
Visual Arts Overview
The Clark County School District visual arts curriculum is an integral part of the general education of all students, with the intention of enabling students to develop lifelong abilities to:
- Think critically and creatively solve problems
- Observe and interpret the world and our environment
- Recognize the visual arts as a vehicle for the expression of ideas
- Make informed choices and aesthetic judgments related to everyday life
- Understand the role of the artist and the artist’s contribution to society
- Use visual images to communicate history, cultural heritage and social consciousness
Art Presentation Opportunities
- This juried high school art show celebrates the creative process and exploratory journey of students with their artwork.
- Opening Reception will be at the Public Education Foundation Gallery. Date and time TBD.
- This non-juried art show promotes and advances the achievements of middle school art students.
- Opening Reception will be at 4:30 p.m. on April 16, 2020 at the Winchester Cultural Center Gallery.
Fine Arts performance Opportunities
- Any Given Child of Southern Nevada: The vision of the Southern Nevada Community Arts Team is to create and implement a comprehensive art education for EVERY K-8 child by providing access to engaging, diverse arts learning experiences that inspire, enrich, and transform their lives. Professional, high quality performances are available to schools in professional venues and at school sites.
- Las Vegas Philharmonic Youth Concerts: In partnership with the Las Vegas Philharmonic, youth concerts are provided to benefit students by providing a live orchestra experience in a professional setting. Dates include October 29-31, 2019 and February 11-13, 2020.
- Henderson Symphony Youth Concerts: In partnership with the Henderson Symphony, students are provided a live classical music experience in a professional setting. Dates to be determined.