Mission and Goals
The mission of the Elementary Fine Arts Department is to empower all CCSD students to achieve their creative potential through quality artistic experiences that instills lifelong involvement in and appreciation of the Arts.
The department goals are:
- to increase student involvement and appreciation of art forms by developing and implementing quality performance and presentation opportunities
- to increase teachers’ pedagogical skills and knowledge by developing and implementing effective professional learning opportunities which are aligned to the Nevada Academic Content Standards, Scope and Goals, Objectives, Grade Level Expectations, and Nevada Educator Performance Framework
- to provide quality resources and tools for instruction by reviewing and revising curriculum documents
The Clark County School District Elementary Music Orff curriculum is an integral part of the general education of all K-5 students, with the intention of enabling students to develop lifelong abilities to:
- Recognize music as a vehicle for communication and the expression of ideas
- Create and perform using musical systems and knowledge
- Understand the role of music and the musician’s contribution to society
- Use musical systems and knowledge to communicate history, cultural heritage, and social consciousness
- Think critically and creatively solve problems
- Make informed choices and aesthetic judgments related to everyday life
Music Festival Opportunities
- This festival is open to select 5th grade students from participating schools. High achieving music students will participate in an Orff-based performance of singing, playing, and moving to advanced repertoire.
- March 14, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. at Artemus W. Ham Hall
UNLV Choral Festival
- This festival provides an opportunity for choir students to experience a wide variety of high quality choral techniques and repertoire with other elementary choirs.
- Date TBD at 10:15 a.m. at Artemus W. Ham Hall
Area Music Festivals
- These festivals provide an opportunity for students to share their success and enjoy the achievements of neighboring schools.
- dates, times, and locations TBD
Fine Arts Performance Opportunities
- Any Given Child of Southern Nevada: The vision of the Southern Nevada Community Arts Team is to create and implement a comprehensive art education for EVERY K-8 child by providing access to engaging, diverse arts learning experiences that inspire, enrich, and transform their lives. Professional, high quality performances are available to schools in professional venues and at school sites.
- Las Vegas Philharmonic Youth Concerts: In partnership with the Las Vegas Philharmonic, youth concerts are provided to benefit students by providing a live orchestra experience in a professional setting. Dates include October 29-31, 2019 and February 11-13, 2020.
- Henderson Symphony Youth Concerts: In partnership with the Henderson Symphony, students are provided a live classical music experience in a professional setting. Dates to be determined.