23 Dec Unwrapped ELA Standards in Curriculum Engine
During the spring and summer of 2019, a task force of CCSD English language arts (ELA) teachers enhanced the unwrapped Nevada Academic Content Standards (NVACS) for ELA in the Curriculum Engine and created vertical articulation of each standard across the grade levels. The newly-revised unwrapped ELA NVACS will be accessible for all CCSD teachers in January 2020.
The following areas have been enhanced within the unwrapped standard templates and differ from the initial unwrapped standard categories.
What do I need to know?
- Learning Objectives-The learning objectives combine the former knowledge and reasoning targets to create a cohesive unwrapping of each standard that meets the intended rigor of each standard.
- Learning Targets-The learning targets have been updated to indicate the portions of the standards that are new to each grade level. This matches the format used on the Nevada Department of Education Linking Document for each grade-level standard. Click here to access the Linking Documents.
- Language Targets-The language targets specifically outline the type of language that students will need to learn and use in order to demonstrate mastery of the goals of the lesson. Quality language targets complement the content knowledge and skills identified in the learning objectives and address the aspects of academic language that will be developed or reinforced during the teaching of grade-level content and skills. The language target also creates an actionable objective that students must produce in order to show progress in mastery of the standard. Teachers should purposefully plan for the use of academic language during ELA instruction.
- Vocabulary-Using the vocabulary from the standard, as well as vocabulary needed to access the standard, teachers should focus on specific words to assist with the mastery of the standard.
- Essential Question-The essential question provides a focus for the lesson that features the standard and can be used for formative assessment purposes.
How do I teach and assess this?
- Teaching Suggestions-New links to materials or activities have been added for teachers to use in planning and instruction toward mastery of the standards.
What supports are available?
- Under “Document View” in Curriculum Engine, teachers and administrators can access grade-level pacing guides, grade-level “Textbook Assessment Guide,” the Nevada Department of Education Linking Documents, as well as sample close reads in the Anthology Alignment Project documents.
- The K-12 Literacy and Language Development Department professional learning opportunities includes newly unwrapped standards information and overview of resources located within the Curriculum Engine.